The celebration of New Years is an exciting time; it is a chance to reflect back on the previous year’s accomplishments, plan for the future, and for many it is the perfect time to “wipe the slate clean” and begin with a fresh set of healthier habits. There is perhaps no better time to make a fresh start than after the holiday season which for many – aside from being a time of joy and celebration – is a time of indulgence. If you’ve noticed flare ups of old injuries, back pain and digestive issues creeping in, you are not alone! The over-indulgence of sugar, processed foods and alcohol causes major inflammation in the body which can leave you in a mental daze and in physical pain, struggling to recover.
As you set your goals and plans for 2016, remember that you will be empowered or limited by how well you take care of yourself in the pursuit of those goals. Science shows that diet effects concentration, sleep and mental clarity. Here are 5 ways to take care of yourself this year, and as a result – increase your chances of success.
1. Add Movement – adding just a 15 -20 minute walk to your daily routine can produce wonderful benefits. On your busiest days, carve out this small amount of time to clear your head and get your heart rate up, leaving you feeling refreshed for the rest of the day.
2. Clean the Cupboards – clear out the holiday cookies, snacks and temptations from the kitchen pantry. Instead, stock your fridge and cupboards with healthy snacks you can grab on the go.
3. Drink More Water –75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. Dehydration is the cause of a host of health issues - side step these common complaints by increasing your water intake each day.
4. Eat Your Winter Greens – winter vegetables are a quick and easy way to increase your nutrient intake. Supporting your body with foods that are rich in nutrients and antioxidants will boost your immune system’s ability to fight winter illnesses, such as the cold and flu.
5. Regular Chiropractic Adjustments – regular chiropractic adjustments boost immune system and central nervous system function by removing interference in the body that is preventing these systems from performing at their best. If you battle cold and flu season each winter, consider regular chiropractic adjustments to help stop the cycle of wintertime sickness before it starts.